Katie Couric's Social Media Path: Conversation with Brian Solis
About a month ago, I connected Katie Couric and Brian Solis for a conversation about Katie’s push into new media which started in 2008. What ensued was a discussion about the challenges, the opportunities and the areas of exploration they both think about when it comes to the convergence of “new” and “old” media. What I like to call – present media.
I hope you enjoy – and as always I can’t wait to hear your ideas and feedback.
“I miss that…kind of connection, that engagement that I had with viewers at NBC. And in a way I feel like I’m revitalizing that through social media.”
“There still has to be some of the standards that traditional media…that we have followed through the years. I want them to live on. We can’t let accuracy become a casualty of immediacy.”
“For me anyway, (social media) has to be a reflection of my authentic self.”
**In the third clip at the 9-minute mark, you will hear Katie talk about me. At CBS News, I work with Katie Couric’s team on her webshow (@katiecouric), her social media profiles (Twitter, Facebook and YouTube) and with the CBS Evening News team.
Thanks to these folks for linking to the interview:
- Harvard’s Nieman Lab – “Preventing Accuracy from Being a Casualty of Immediacy”
- Lost Remote – “Couric Connects with Viewers via Social Media”
- John Boitnott – “Turns our Couric Understands Social Media”
- Social Media Today – “Katie Couric on Social Media and Real-Time Journalism”
- Fast Company – “Katie Couric on Social Media and Real-Time Journalism”
- Jess3 - “(R)evolution’s interview with Katie Couric”